Thursday, December 27, 2007

tradition... (and other things)

In my head, the word tradition always sounds like it's being sung by Tevye on Fiddler on the Roof. Beauty!
I think that, obviously after the story central to Christmas, and it's reason for being, my favorite element of the holidays is tradition. The traditions that my family have are something that I delight in, and love experiencing year after year. Traditions are a wonderful thing, there is something intangible about those moments of repetitious behavior that bonds us together. For example, every Christmas morning we have my mom's 'easy cinnamon buns' and orange juice and sing happy birthday to Jesus. Silly? yes. But do I love it? absolutely.
My best Christmas story from this year:
My oldest sister is 7 months pregnant and currently on bedrest. She has a 3 year old, Owen. Saturday, my sister was staying at her mom's house, and Steve had Owen at his house. Steve needed a shower, so he left the door opening, figuring he could avoid any disasters. When he came out, he found that Owen had unwrapped every single gift under the tree. Every single one. And when Steve asked Owen why he had made that choice, Owen just looked up at him and said "But Daddy, it's Christmas time".
Isn't that wonderful? haha. I love it. So Steve rewrapped all of the gifts, and that story will live on for a long time to come.

No comments: