Saturday, July 12, 2008

Ancient Words Ever True

I have a slightly odd passion, odd to the majority of those who surround me these days, at least. I'm passionate about the Bible, about people taking time every day to immerse themself in God's word, and about people reading the whole Bible in its entirety. It blows me away that this is a rare occurence, even in 'strong Christian communities', and it bothers me, deeply. I'm me, so it goes without saying that I'm incredibly far from perfect! I struggle to read my Bible with consistency, and as with anything, it's difficult to develop a habit that few people around you appear to be attempting to build as well. I'm incredibly thankful for those in my life who do exemplify a strong devotional foundation, their examples lead me to hunger for a deeper, more intimate connection with my Creator. Lately, I've had a burning desire to pass that along to those around me, and so, I challenge you to read the Bible every single day this month, if you don't already. Even if you just read what I've recently come to call the Proverb of the Day (there are 31), it's a good place to start, a good place to build from. In the fall, I'm getting a group togethr that will read thru the Bible in 6 months, and I'm trying to get it approved as a small group based out of the Sunday Evening church that I attend. If you want the materials I have for the 6monthplan let me know, or google it, there are a lot of them, also if you want to stay on track with my group when it starts, let me know.
My encouragement to you is this: Don't get discouraged because you have fallen behind, or have left off for a few days, God will take what we give Him and bless us for doing what we can, as we can. As we continue to be obedient to discipling ourselves to Him, He will continue to grow us deeper in Him, and build our foundation up. The more we take His admonishments to heart, the deeper our hunger for His wisdom will become. I believe those things to be true, and I hope you do too!
Friends, I like you. Thanks for being you.

2 comments:

Shauna Bennett said...

Thanks for the challenge Katie! :)

Unknown said...

Oh I agree. I think it was a really good experience and talking to some of the campers after and during campfire made it clear that the whole thing went well. That post was just my thoughts and worries before. I just didn't write anything after that. But it was good.