Thursday, December 18, 2008

it's Christmas time in the city.

this time of year is making me realize how much of myself falls short, and how little drive i have to really do a whole heck of a lot about it. i'm easily overwhelmed by how far i fall short of my delusional 'ideal woman', and so rather than figure out a more realistic 'ideal', and make life choices that direct me down that path, i tend to settle for lesser choices because they feel 'safe', which in the end isn't safe at all because there's little security in apathy ladden choices. i realize this sounds fairly over dramatic, and i don't mean all the time i'm walking around all 'woe is me, i'm bad at life', but i do long to be more, to do more, less and less i long to have more, which i think is a positive step. it's not that i dislike myself, generally, i think i'm an alright person, and i'm surrounded by phenomenal people in my life, on a variety of levels, but i still often feel that i fall quite short.
for example, i need sleep. i get sick when i lack sleep, i'd love to have more hours in a day to accomplish things, but if i with-hold sleep from myself for a few nights in a row, i'll quickly become too sick to function, and lose more productivity by getting sick than i would have by getting the sleep i need. this frustrates me, i'd rather have the time and not get sick, and i keep trying to convince myself i don't need 8 hours of sleep each night, but that always backfires.
and i'm atrocious at managing time, i continually underestimate the time needed to accomplish anything, which always sets me back, and i end up being obscenely late for things. i don't like being late, but it's become a habit that i can't seem to quite break free of.
and i don't want to become apathetic, but sometimes i'm overwhelmed by what i'm NOT and i forget to remember what i AM. and above all, what i am is loved. loved enough to make mis-steps, and mistakes in life, but to be encouraged to not drown in apathy, but to rather continue to pursue my own Pilgrim's Progress towards the Celestial City.
sometimes i just need a swift kick to the shins from life to make me remember that i am one among many, and that nothing i encounter in this life will be wholly unique to me, someone has walked this path before me. and i can overcome anything in this life, when i realize i can't overcome it alone, and when i'm willing to see what it is i need to overcome, and take the necessary steps to do so.
*************************************************************************************
i do so love Christmas. i love picking out gifts that i know people will enjoy/appreciate. i love the snow, the music, and the tastes. i love the trees in houses and the lights outside. i love the generosity of the season, and the excitement on children's faces. it's a great season, even when families are messy and in a time of financial turmoil, it's a beautiful season of hope, of love, of joy.

also, few things have ever made me love winter so much as satellite radio with a Christmas channel and heated seats to warm my tush when i get in the car. and it was such an easy, painfree trade, for even better mileage, a far more than fair buy out, and a sweet renogiation of payments over a shorter term, and a vehicle title in my own name. there are benefits to living in the only area to turn a profit in vehicle sales the last quarter.

anyways. this is my first update in over a month, and it's far too long, so i'll stop here.

ciao.

8 comments:

gavin said...

Let it be known, I quite like you as you are. For real.

Mr. C.C. said...

Nobody was meant to be perfect. It God meant people to perfect than Jesus would have been all for not if that makes sense.

Are you over analyzing just because it is the Christmas season? You have the rest of the year to do that.

mrsrichter said...

Chris Sheldon, once I realized it was you, all I could conjure up in my head was a memory of you and a blues band in the PA church basement. oh my lanta. what a night it was. and interestingly, i believe i was sitting amongst some Jensen chaps as I witnessed it!

to answer, i over-analyze all the time. i believe it's called being a woman ;)

Anonymous said...

BEEP BEEP

! GENDER STEREOTYPE WARNING !

BEEP BEEP

Now Katie, I over-analyze as much as the next person, male or not.

Oh, and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Katie help. I just made a blog, but i can't work it! Also, i can't add friends (or whatever the lingo is). Also, i can see a mouse out of the corner of my eye, and it[s bothering me.

k. blackwood said...

this is it.

k. blackwood said...

Hey lady, i'm not kidding. I don't know how to work this blog. How do i add "friends"??

Anonymous said...

My dear Katie,

You have not been updating much lately. I hope you will get this comment.

I have one thing to tell you: you need to go see the post I did tonight entitled "Anatomy of a Girl-Power Band". You will not be disappointed with the amount of public embarrassment I am willing to put myself through.

Let me know what you think of all of my Gaither-goodness.

:)