Wednesday, May 7, 2008

an inch and a half

so, i'm a how-to-person. yep, i work at RONA.
i've had 1 8.5-hour shift, and i'm already being fast tracked as a headcashier and have been offered to advance to 2 departments, offered the position of personal assistant to the manager and been told that i'll be moving to contractor sales as soon as cash has more staff. it's good to be friendly and useful, i'm learning evermore.
i'm pretty sure that, once again, this is going to be a job that has daily stories rich in humour, especially if the dirtyoldmen are all as bold as the ones i met today. my favorite day1 story is as follows (Gav, i'm so writing this for your laughter.)
This old man is buying plywood, and the stickers are conveniently on the bottom of the stack of 10 sheets, so i measure the first sheet so i can look up the code, as i do so, i say aloud, as its easier for me to remember if i say something, ' an inch and a half' the old man, not skipping a beat, looks at me, and says 'little lady i'll show you an inch and a half...' oh man. i didn't know whether to laugh or run away in fear, so i shook my head, made some remark about having worked with welders so his humour was nothing new to me, and went on my merry way. and then, as i was musing on this story, i realized the incredible humour in what he said. an inch and a half, did he actually say that? oh man. i want that moment back. but then again, i'd rather have the job, so it's probably best i was tongue tied.

1 comment:

gavin said...

I will cherish this post in my heart....