Sunday, May 18, 2008

singin' sweet home alberta all summer long...

yesterday i rode in a cattle drive for two of my closest alberta-friends. Cali and Eric were moving their cows 20 kms on horseback, and kindly requested that i ride with them, in total there were 12 wrangles herding the cattle for 20 kilometres. it was 30 degrees out yesterday, today i am red like a lobster, but man, i had pretty much the best may long weekend of all time! we took alot of breaks, considering that it was so darn hot, and we had a lot of cow/calf pairs in our herd. we crossed 2 highways, and only 1 driver got mad at us. we had several farmers stop and offer to hire us to move their cows. and then when we got to the pasture, we camped out for the night, swam in the dug out, and had some good times.
it's day like these that make me oh-so-glad to be an alberta farm girl. even the white rein-lines on my burnt hands can not bring me down! and now i'm off to work.

4 comments:

Jason Mills said...

You have an active blog? How did I not know this?

You're words and wisdom always challenge me and inspire me, and cause me to view the world in a new, wonderful way. I love it.

I'm looking very forward to the "Katie Experience".

San Gregorio said...

I remember once as a child participating in a miniature Saskatchewan cattle drive. We didn't have horses.... I think the neighbour had one... anyways, I rode in a truck and it was alright. It couldn't have lasted longer than an hour. Your experience is way better.

Unknown said...

ooh la la. that sounds fantabulous. I'm so glad you had such a great weekend!

And I'm so not surprised you burnt so bad. I love that you have white rein lines though.

That's the best!

Unknown said...

just so you know: you make my heart smile THIS BIG (well I'm doing the "this big" arm gesture)